Ravens?

Given that I only saw my first ravens this year, I'm a bit hesitant to call these, especially as there were so many - over twenty in total.  The numbers suggest they're more likely to be rooks, but their behaviour was not rook-like, and while it was difficult to judge size, the impression I had was too large to be rooks.  (I thought "buzzard" initially when I saw the first bird, then they just kept coming ... )  They do seem to have the diamond tail shape of ravens.

I have a lot more photos, but none of them is any more helpful, I don't think.

• Looks like Ravens to me as I saw one today aswell and thought it was a bird of prey lol
    Tony (TeeJay) said:
    Ravens seem to be getting much more common. They used to be regarded as birds of remote mountain areas. These days they can be seen in lowland areas even where I live.
    The key to its ID (apart from size - not easy to judge) is the diamond shaped tail feathers. If it calls the "cronk" "cronk" is pretty distinctive.
    (Hope you dont mind me quoting you Tony)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• I would say yes to Ravens. The ones I can make out seem to have the classic diamond shape to their tails.
    You should check out Llinda's recent thread.
    community.rspb.org.uk/.../help-with-id-please-bird-of-prey.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Crossed posts with Linda. LOL

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thank you both.

I remembered the diamond tail from Tony's reply to my earlier question - my first ever sighting of ravens. community.rspb.org.uk/.../corvid-silhouettes---rook-or-raven

These were about a mile or so from that sighting. I hadn't realised ravens would form flocks in this way. I've always had an image of them as fairly solitary birds.
  • In reply to LesleyL:

LesleyL said:
    I've always had an image of them as fairly solitary birds.

So have I.  When I first saw your photo I thought they must be rooks ...... but those tails were rather diamond-shaped.  I'm delighted you had such a fantastic sighting!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I have a couple of Ravens flying round my house pretty often, especially when nesting across the road.
    It is the sheer size of them, as they are often seen in conflict with the Buzzards, and there's no real difference in size between them

Richard B

• Yes, that added to my confusion, because the place I saw these is a regular haunt of Buzzards. So one large bird appeared over the trees and I thought "Buzzard", but when they just kept coming, I thought "Not Buzzard!" and then doubted my size assessment, because as I said, I'd thought Ravens were generally solitary.

I've also seen a Hen Harrier in the same area, so all large birds require a good look!
  • Yes, that added to my confusion, because the place I saw these is a regular haunt of Buzzards. So one large bird appeared over the trees and I thought "Buzzard", but when they just kept coming, I thought "Not Buzzard!" and then doubted my size assessment, because as I said, I'd thought Ravens were generally solitary.

I've also seen a Hen Harrier in the same area, so all large birds require a good look!