Hello can anyone please help to identify this bird - seen in our garden this morning.

It was flitting in and out of shrubbery and appeared to be eating berries from our Spindle tree. I've never seen it in our (large suburban) garden before. Was it a Whitethroat or Lesser Whitethroat? All responses welcome  Thankyou. Neil in Wymondham 

• Lesser Whitethroat...going with the dark legs but I would wait for others to confirm

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• What a wonderful bird to find in your garden, well spotted Neil and lovely photo capture.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thank you Hazel that's a very kind message. We were intrigued to see it eating the fallen berries under the Spindle Bush. We are very lucky with the range of birds we get in our garden.

As an additional coup today we also saw 11 Marsh Harriers flying over the Broads in a group. We have recently moved to Norfolk and are thrilled by the wildlife here.
    Kind regards Neil
  • Sounds like a fantastic new area for you to explore Neil, Norfolk has such an abundance of wildlife so enjoy your new home and surrounds. 11 Marsh Harriers is quite a sight I would imagine, the maximum I've seen together at one time is 7 and that was in N.Lancashire at rspb Leighton Moss. They are incredible birds to watch as they quarter the marshes and raise their broods. Have your camera at the ready !!

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to Neil Rogers:

Neil as a bit of a raptor nut if I saw 11 Marsh Harriers I would think I had died and gone to heaven, great sighting for you

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can