Newt?

Hi. Can anyone identify this.

I think it's some kind of newt. I just found it in the garden. Strange really as we have no pond and nor do neighbours.

The nearest pond is in the park that is 2km away.

• Hi,
    I think it is a great crested newt. Hopefully you put it back where you found it.

Newts breed in water, but like other amphibians, leave water outside of breeding season so normal to see it away from water.
  • I did put it back where I found it. Though I only found it initially when I was removing some creepers, brambles that are growing from the foundations of the house and have been left to take over what used to be a paved and greenery free area for a number of years. :o

Obviously I didn't complete the job.

For reference it's barely 1.5 inches long.

I have been looking at photos of the newt you describe and I can't find one (or any other) that look similar - with the line on the back.

I'm still baffled to how it got there, especially as April and May were so dry and as I said, there's no obvious water source nearby.
  • **Females can also have a thin orange stripe along the centre of the back.**
    This was extracted from a website on Great Crested newts by Surrey Amphibian and Reptile Group (SARG)

surrey-arg.org.uk/SARGWEB.php

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to GreenDog:

GreenDog said:

I'm still baffled to how it got there, especially as April and May were so dry and as I said, there's no obvious water source nearby.

As I said, it doesn't need to be near water as it's not breeding. I guess you live in a remote location as I certainly can't guess what ponds exist within the nearest 2kms. What the weather was like a few months ago hasn't got any relevance???

Re photos online, it's inevitable most are of breeding newts. Partly it's because they look more photogenic, and partly because they're far easier to find when breeding. Most of the times I've seen newts away from ponds I've not had a camera with me. Obviously, times have changed and people carry phones now, so maybe more will photos will crop up.

Re me saying, "I think it's a great crested newt", I am not 100%. Looking at the photo again using the desktop, I'm probably only about 60% now. It's a newt. UK has three, great crested, palmate and smooth newt. Numbers wise, it's most likely to be a smooth newt. My photos of them doesn't include stripes down the back, but I wouldn't rule it out. My photos are when they're breeding in ponds, and during the Summer when they're not.

Re 1.5 inches, size will vary based on age. Obviously, when fully grown, the largest species (great crested) will be easy to i.d. just on size.

If you have any other photos that aren't directly above the newt, that might help.

• Hi. An update on this (over 1 year later).

Back in August 2020 when I stopped the overgrown shrubbery clearance I cut into 4 an old fence post and laid 2 of them on the ground in 2 areas close to where I found the newt.

I returned to the property earlier this month (October 2021) to finally clear the overgrown area.

I was quite chuffed to see that under both of the 2 fence post pieces there was a small newt hiding out in both (one in the gap I had cut and one was just under the 2 "logs".

So I was able to move them to a better area of the garden where I have created a better log/wood stick pile from a dead tree and also last summer I dug a hole under a shady area and made a small "hibernacula" incorporating a shop bought Frogilo and plant pot "mini caves" (though I can´t know what´s in there as I would have to destroy it somewhat to have a look).

Anyway, here´s one of the newts that was hiding out under the 2 logs when I went to take a look. I don´t know if it´s related to the Great Crested Newt from lads summer.

Either way it´s a RESULT for the nature garden.

• In reply to GreenDog:

Wow great job go you! We need more like you around :D