Another mystery duck at Loch Garten

I'm a very new birdwatcher and saw these at Loch Garten yesterday afternoon - a lovely sunny day. They don't look like anything in my bird books or anything I can find on the web.  Any suggestions welcome!

• I could be way off the mark here, it's difficult to judge what's light/shadow and what's bird colouration. I see a resemblance to Eider though, a couple. Bird on left to me looks to be a male Eider transitioning from summer plumage to eclipse. Note generally pale back still that seems to be transitioning from creamy clean white to off-colour patchy brown and darkening chest. Note also pale-ish eye-stripe running along the side of the head, fairly typical in eclipse Eider's. Head shape seems to fit, strong bill that joins forehead in smooth, barely noticeable angle. Right bird I feel looks like female, as the beak-tip looks very pale as is typical of species, otherwise unremarkable plumage with (to me) no real distinguishing features at that range.
    Like I said, possible I'm way off and I'm not sure of their distribution or whether they frequent the loch in mention. If anyone else has better ideas, please throw them this way.
  • Can I ask your reasoning? If I'm mistaken I'd love to learn why/what I missed. Personally, I feel head/bill shape doesn't fit Gadwall.
  • I agree that the lighting definitely adds to the difficulty of a conclusive ID, hence my uncertainty. Respect your opinion and thanks for elaborating your viewpoint.
  • Thank you both. I am a complete beginner at both photography and birdwatching, so I'd better go back and try to get a better picture!