Anyone know what this is?

Seen on a housing estate in Wakefield, West Yorkshire. 

• According to SEEK, the genus is Asian Francolins but it couldn’t identify the species
  • My inexpert guess would be female or juvenile pheasant but likely way off the mark ... wait for others' comments!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Interesting. I used Google lens of the image on the screen with my phone and it came up with Grey Francolin. However, unless someone is breeding these I think it's much more likely to be a juvenile Pheasant as Wendy suggests.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I agree Game bird of some sort, just looks a little odd for a pheasant

CinJ

Cin J

• Thanks for your answers. We wondered whether it was a juvenile pheasant that had got lost as it was a distance from a usual habitat!
  • Google images shows a Grey Frankolin is very similar

Richard B

• We ran one over on the A65 a couple of weeks ago and I wondered what it was then. Out of the hedge and under the wheel with no intervening pause.
  • Hi

it's not a Ring Necked Pheasant - and it does look quite like a Grey Francolin

Game birds often escape from places in England and Grey Francolins are offered for sale by breeders

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box