which species is making this type of call (woodland in Worcestershire)?

Date: April 2020

habitat: woodland

Description:

There were two sounds associated with the call, whose pattern is described later. The first type of sound I describe as "Tok!" = a sudden noise which sounds just like the spoken word as spelled, but also sounds almost like a cork coming out of a bottle, almost like someone hitting a woodblock percussion instrument, almost like wooden claves being clacked together.

The second sound was a "Brrrr" = similar to the rear wheel of a bike, free wheeling and spun by hand and slowing down on the ratchet sprocket gear set type noise. Maybe that sort of noise but modified as if you're holding a playing card or a bit of plastic against the spokes. This part lasts maybe half a second  to a full second.

A Short pause between each of the two sounds, of less than a second. A gap of about a second before the pair of sounds repeats. Then perhaps a pause of a few seconds, and the cycle beings again.  Like this:

Tok! Brrrr...
1 s pause
Tok! Brrrr...
1 s pause
Tok! Brrrr...

10 s gap

Tok! Brrrr...
1 s pause
Tok! Brrrr...

10 s gap

Tok! Brrrr...
1 s pause
Tok! Brrrr...
1 s pause
Tok! Brrrr...

A longer gap, then repeat. Not necessarily always in groups of three (but not fifty at a time - a few). We didn't hear any responses, having listened for about 5 minutes.

We heard the call at about 6pm;  we couldn't tell if the sound was coming from the ground or up in the trees. It was perhaps 50 yds away from us. We couldn't see the source of the call.

What should I look up on Yuotube etc. to see what it might have been?  Thanks for any useful pointers.

• Perhaps different types of woodpecker make very different drumming sounds, but what we heard does not match the numerous woodpeckers which he hear frequently in this area.
  • Ok, the only others i can think of that could be described as the Brrr . . . are Nightjar, and to a lesser extent Grasshopper Warbler. Don't know what the Tok could be, although Pheasant sometimes make a similar sound.
  • I suppose we are not talking about the alarm call of a Mistle Thrush.

Lars Edenius, XC425076. Accessible at www.xeno-canto.org/425076.

• Mr. B and teeJay - given my necessarily poor description, these are certainly good suggestions from you both but unfortunately I have not yet heard the sound repeated.

I am using your ideas to go through e.g. Youtube and if I hear something which shares some components of my "mystery call", I 'll post a link here.