A day off that finally coincided with a decent forecast...

… so I made the decision to go to Shapwick Heath NNR, amid the Avalon Marshes of the Somerset Levels

Didn't go mad, so had a lie in, and left home to avoid most of the rush hour. It was an hour and a little bits drive, except with my SatNav, that has a vendetta against me and was getting her own back for all the times she had to say "Route recalculation"!! An hour and a half later I arrived!!

First to meet me were a plethora of ducks, coots and swans and a particularly lovely female mallard

I walked along the path, towards Noah's Hide, and met an unusually marked fella

I climbed the steps to the hide, and looking across the expanse of water were more ducks, coots, gulls, cormorants and swans. Suddenly a vast quantity of them exploded into the air in a cacophony of noise.... I'm assuming Marsh Harrier, as it was at the marshes and harrying the wildfowl

I'll apologise now, but I got a bit excited to see him, and he appeared 4 more times through my visit, and there are pictures each time!!

On leaving the hide heading back to the main pathway, there were a dozen or more Long Tail Tits being Lollipoppy!

And a little way away was Mr Heron, enjoying the sunshine

Across the other side of the stream/canal/ Drain was a stonechat looking very smart

Then Marshy H came back into view

And some more Long Tails

I didn't make it to either Decoy Hide or the hide the other side of the road but had a good (r)amble about

Then Marshy came back out for a looksee

Lovely bit of silhouetting here (If I do say so myself!!)

And then my 1st sighting of a Great White Shark Egret

It wasn't to be my ;last...but patience is a virtue, dear reader

Mr Cormorant, less silhouetty

But he'd soon had enough!

Marshy came back around again

But he was too far distant to worry Mr and Mrs Wigeon

As I had a bit of a drive home, I called it a day around 2pm  and headed back to the car..... it was nearly BE-headed back to the car, as I was treated to a low fly-by

And so I tootled off home a very happy bunny!!