I found these remains in my garden today. Can someone identify this bird?

• Spot on pal thanks very much, the layout is ok now on the homepage.
    I hope someone can ID the remains better than I can.

My Flickr photos

• By the way, we do seem to have at least one Sparrowhawk who lurks around our bird feeders but I've never seen either a Woodcock or Snipe around here before. The growth in the raptor population seems to be having a huge detrimental effect on the garden birds around our area.
  • Just found this of a Woodcock wing www.sciencephoto.com/.../woodcock-wing
    What do you think?

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

I would say that looks spot on! Thanks.
  • I think it is too easy Iain to blame the decline on birds like Sparrowhawks though some do blame them for the decline in song birds but I don't think the science backs that up, it is more likely habitat loss than anything else.
    I get quite a few Sparrowhawks in my garden but it is still full of other birds.

My Flickr photos

• Alan, I'm certain there are multiple reasons for the decline in the garden bird population but anecdotally, the rise of the raptor population around this area have gone hand in hand with the decline in the number of birds visiting my feeders.
  • In reply to IainM-1299158467:

If I may, Iain, I guess you would need to know if there's causality involved or if the two things are happening simultaneously but are not causally connected.

Alan mentions the science, and as far as I'm (purely as an interested amateur) aware, raptors, as (approaching) apex predators have their populations controlled by the availability of prey, and not vice versa.

Perhaps there's a sink effect at play, where raptors not surviving (so, dying) leaves opportunities for others to move into different areas, where eventually they will also fail to survive if there isn't enough prey.

At the end of the day, if you have too many, say, Sparrowhawks in your area, they won't all survive. And it will, I believe, take longer for their population to rebound than it will take for some of their prey species.

We've lived with a garden bursting with birds, including Sparrowhawks, for years. But perhaps we're simply lucky.

Best regards -
    Dave
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave,

Please see my previous answer. As I said, I was talking anecdotally and I am aware that the population of prey and the preyed upon will inevitably settle into it's own natural rhythm given time and as long as man doesn't f*** things up much more. Personally though, I would prefer to see my garden populated with songbirds free to feed on the food I spend my hard earned on, rather than them to be the food for others. Unfortunately the law of the land doesn't allow me to be the apex predator as far as Sparrowhawks are concerned.
  • In reply to IainM-1299158467:

IainM-1299158467 said:
    Please see my previous answer

I did read the post Iain. I always do. Otherwise I couldn't comment.

Understood regarding your preference. We're all different, just like the birds.

My main point is only that there may be little connection between the two things you're observing.

This afternoon I'll be in touch with Audobon on the east coast about dwindling populations of certain birds in the neighbourhood where a good friend lives.

Maybe they'll tell me that it's down to raptors. Maybe they'll tell me it's down to the fashion for spraying lawns against mosquitos.

Maybe they just won't know.

Glad, though, that you take your duties as the apex predator seriously (that is, after all, what we all are). And I'm sure you would do the same even if the law allowed...

Best regards -

Dave

• In reply to Dave - CH:

"And I'm sure you would do the same even if the law allowed..." I'm certain I would not!