Sunday morning head scratcher

• What Bittern Dave?
    Yep had a good view of it from the side.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Ah, thought it was a croaky Hoopoe (I'd be croaky if I was a Hoopoe in the UK this weekend).

Better still (for me), a Bittern.

That's super.

And very like a Rook, if I may say so. :-)

I'll always remember our very first Bittern: 'It's an owl! No... it's... it's a raptor! No!'

Very intereting head scratcher. And as they always used to say (ish) at the end of Scooby-Doo: "If it weren't for that meddlesome Tony, you'd have gotten away with it!"

• That poor Hoopoe has had some bad weather to contend with over the last few days, not heard about any sighting for the last few days, if it's still around I might pop down to have a look.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

And I'm sure you've a spare room, Alan. It's only eight months or so, after all...

Joking apart, I used to be thrilled by sightings like that (the Hoopoe). Now I just wish they were somewhere else, where they're 'supposed to be'.

Saw (rejected by the committee here) an adult Woodchat Shrike in the vineyards last year, much, much too late. So sorry for that bird.

• In reply to Alan.:

Nice spot Alan, well done

Alan. said:
    Hazel might see one at Leighton Moss this week if she's lucky.

and maybe she won't see one   LOL     my best chance of seeing one was at Lower Hide area and that hide has now closed due to structural problems :(      

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Evening, All. Congratulations, TJ, on your ID of the Bittern!

I've only just read the recent blog from Newport Wetlands to see toward the bottom of the page a photo of a flying Bittern in almost the same view as the one Alan photographed, but this one is not in silhouette. It is easy to see how the feet could look like its tail. Have a look. You probably know that you can find the blogs by scrolling down past the usual thread headers on page one of this community forum and then look for: 'Newport Wetlands: Three favourites in the Limelight'. When I checked just now, the Newport Wetlands blog is the second one.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• Nope, wouldn't have guessed that. Good spot though.

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

Gardenbirder said:
    I've only just read the recent blog from Newport Wetlands to see toward the bottom of the page a photo of a flying Bittern in almost the same view as the one Alan photographed

Thanks for the link, Ann. That is remarkably similar looking to Alan's photo. I hadn't seen it .....  honest!

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• As soon as I saw it I said Bittern Alan.

Jim

My Pictures

• Cheers Jim.
    I knew I could trust you pal.

My Flickr photos