Can anybody tell me what they think this is-a bit blurred sorry (not my photo)

• Hi EJ, Not quite sure so wait for other opinions and assuming the photo was taken in UK …….. it appears to have grey on the head and chestnut colouring to that of a male Kestrel. It's a bit hard to judge size on the photo.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Apologies, I should have said that it was taken in France and appears to be a bird that is kept in captivity.
  • Oh ok, The colouring is quite intense with the red/chestnut for a Kestrel so I will leave this one to the experts !!

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to EJohnson:

Which would, I guess, explain the cord, EJ. A bigger hawk of some description (given that killer beak)?
  • Harris's Hawk perhaps?
  • Dave, thanks. I'm 100% sure that's not what it is. We are falconers here in France so know a Harris Hawk from a mile away!!
    We are thinking maybe a Redtail or a Long Legged Buzzard. It's a tough one because the photo colour and clarity isn't brilliant. It was a request from the authorities here to help with ID. We've said what we think and asked that if they can get better photos that they come back to us.

Thank you for all your help everyone
  • Thanks EJ. Personally, I wouldn't know a Harris's if it fell on me from a great height (although I hope one never does so). Just a post to get your question back up close to the top of the list.
    Time to dig out your copy of Dick Forsman's book, methinks.

All the best -
    Dave
  • I hope not either!! We have so many 'bird' books here but not that one-not sure we'd have room!!
  • Worth making room for I think EJ. It was recommended to us on these forums and Forsman's level of detail is, I believe, extraordinary. It's our go-to resource when we need telling details on raptors. There's the original book, and an in-flight ID book. (And I don't have shares, no.)