What is digging up my garden

Hi

Hi, I have some sort of creature digging and tunneling in my garden. I first thought it was rats but after catching a 2 mice in the traps I'm now not sure. Ivd left one trap down near an entrance to the garden but so far nothing else. My back garden does back into a farmers field. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• I would say Rats or Hedgehogs. We live in a barn conversation and like you our land is surrounded down one side of the Farmers field. We just thought we had a few mice and hedgehogs until we bought some Night Vision Goggles. We had heard some very load noises as though there was a relatively large animal doing something behind, on or near the fence. The first time we switched on the night vision I nearly died. There was about 3 or 4 BIG BIG rats just happily eating the bird seeds that drop onto the floor from the feeders. Then not thinking that there would be anything on the feeder, as I pointed the night vision up...there is another rather large rat climbing down the feeder poll.

It’s a long way to the house so as long as they stay up near the feeders they don’t bother me. I have a few photographs I could always share if you like?! Kissing heartRatMouse2
  • Wow sad but yes please can I see! I dont want to believe they are rats but I'm thinking they are. I don't want to stop feeding my birdies but ..... I think I need to invest in goggles or camera xxx RatRatRat
  • JFX said:
    I would say Rats or Hedgehogs. We live in a barn conversation and like you our land is surrounded down one side of the Farmers field. We just thought we had a few mice and hedgehogs until we bought some Night Vision Goggles. We had heard some very load noises as though there was a relatively large animal doing something behind, on or near the fence. The first time we switched on the night vision I nearly died. There was about 3 or 4 BIG BIG rats just happily eating the bird seeds that drop onto the floor from the feeders. Then not thinking that there would be anything on the feeder, as I pointed the night vision up...there is another rather large rat climbing down the feeder poll.

It’s a long way to the house so as long as they stay up near the feeders they don’t bother me. I have a few photographs I could always share if you like?!

Night vision goggles are a good idea, except, your presence may disturb whatever is digging the holes.

If you can afford one, try one of these nature cams, they will take photos or videos, day or night (night using passive infra-red sensor and lighting), decent ones retail for around £150, though you can get cheaper, and likewise more expensive ones.

They're less obtrusive, almost certainly will capture something and if you've any doubt what the animal is, you have photographic.video evidence that can be shared.