identification help

can anyone help id this butterfly for me? wingspan approx the size of a 50p piece....

99% of my photos are just out with the mutts in springwater park, between whitefield and radcliffe north manchester, thankfully allowed to be self managed mainly by nature allowing a large variety of species.....

• Hi Andy I think it could be a female Common Blue...best wait for Wendy or Noisette.

My Flickr photos

• Cheers Alan, I was told it could possibly be a Northern Brown ARgus, but i thought they had two white spots on top of wings and not a blueish body??

99% of my photos are just out with the mutts in springwater park, between whitefield and radcliffe north manchester, thankfully allowed to be self managed mainly by nature allowing a large variety of species.....

• Will have a look for the Argus on my app...be right back

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

ta, looking here, it is very similar to the photo of the male, first one when you scroll down..... the common blue didnt look to have the feathering along the wings which this has?

www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species.php

• The Argus photos on my App show the Orange spots on the top wings going all the way to the top and just pure Orange on the bottom wings.

My Flickr photos

• Sorry I was looking at the Brown Argus not the Northern one and can now see the white spots on the wings.

My Flickr photos

• One thing that could rule out Northern Brown Argus is your location looking at the distribution map Andy

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

thats why we are confused, if it is, it will be a first sighting in the area...... we can find things similar but not quite, and its one that sort of fits.....

• I would have said it's a very worn female Common Blue. If you look carefully there's a hint of blue scales on the upper wings and close to the body. I don't think either of the Argus species would have any blue showing. Also, the orange spot pattern is consistent with a CB with the two foremost spots fading to white.
    Let's see what others say.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• cheers, at the moment I have had a butterfly conservationist agree its a common blue, female, bu then woodlands trust have themselves suggested a brown argus... but that lives on totally different land and flowers to our area....

is it a mongrel which is why its getting different replies from different places??? :D
    cheers