Could anyone help identify what breed this duckling is? I work in a rescue centre and we had this little guy brought into us, not sure what breed or if hes a domestically bred duckling. Any help would be great :)

I work in a rescue centre and we had this little guy brought into us, not sure what breed or if hes a domestically bred duckling. Any help would be great :)

• Hi Molls

Not absolutely certain but it could be a Tufted Duck youngster. Here's a photo of Mum with her brood in tow for comparison.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I don't think anyone is going to be able to I.D. it. Would that affect how it's cared for? I am guessing when I say it looks 'mallard type' (so could well be domestic/feral).
  • A good question from Robbo, I think, re care.

Molls, care will be the same whatever the bird, right?

Best regards -
    Dave

PS. Tony may be right, but either way it's worth it just for the tufty photo.
  • If it is a tuftie, a good way to prove it is to put it on a pond and watch it dive. If it does, it would effectively rule out most duck species, incl domestic types, and almost guarantee tuftie.
  • n.b. assuming it's up to swimming.
  • In reply to Robbo:

Sorry I didn't see your reply at the time. It would 100% not make any difference on how it is cared for.. we care for all animals no matter what they are and do anything to help them  the duck was also a tufted duck... he also made a full recovery. Thank you for your help!

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Sorry I didn't see your reply at the time. It would 100% not make any difference on how it is cared for.. we care for all animals no matter what they are and do anything to help them  the duck was also a tufted duck... he also made a full recovery. Thank you for your help!