Are these griffon vultures?

• I personally wouldn't doubt Mr. B's response and the map didn't say they weren't there.
  • Thanks - it'll be very interesting to hear the response.
  • I've no reason to doubt Mr. B either, Robbo. I just thought Wrenny might appreciate some more detailed information.

Wrenny, sorry it's taken me such a long time to get back to you. Vogelwarte wrote to me twice and both messages ended up, for some, strange reason, in SPAM.

I'd hoped that they would come back with some explanation of movements; if I recall, there's a ton of sightings each (early) Spring, then far fewer, and then another wave in the (otherwise quiet for a lot of birdwatchers here) summer. No news on that, but some interesting links (one only in German, I'm afraid), and news of a sighting of three (3) at Giswil (OW) on July 24th. That's only 24km away, due south-south-east.

The general feedback? Very possible; especially in the western Alps.

Links:

(German only)

(English)

All the best -

Dave

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Hi Dave,
    Thank you very much for the information from the Vogelwarte site and the links – all really interesting. It was especially interesting to read about the resettlement project in France – sounds like it’s been very successful. It’s also great to hear of sightings of griffon vultures quite close to Mount Pilatus. I shall definitely be on the look out for them on any trips to Switzerland in the future!
    Thanks again,
    Wrenny