An overweight sparrow?

Hi all, is this just a larger sparrow? 

• I think he is plumped up, which makes him look rather rounded!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thank you. Still lovely to watch but definitely larger than the rest of the house sparrows we have visiting.

Thought it may have been a different species or something new.
  • A less happy possibility might be some kind of air sac infection or mites (have come across this only recently).

But I'll go for the plumped-up version (as it's the start of the week and it's good to be positive).
  • I'm afraid it doesn't look plumped up to me, it looks like it's diseased or has some sort of infection. Certainly as a precaution i would recommend that you take down all your feeders and thoroughly clean and disinfect them.
  • In reply to Mr. B:

Thank you all, ill clean my feeders as a precaution either way. I don't want to spread anything throughout the local flock! Definitely a female house sparrow? Poor thing.

I haven't seen her since yesterday but will keep an eye out.

Follow up question - does any have a bird bath? Any tips on location? Mimes been in a few weeks and only the odd starling and magpie has used it thst I've seen.

Thanks again all.
  • I can only comment on the position of our various water sources, Fulgrim. Out in the open (little chance of attack); up off the ground.

That said, we've Black Redstarts and Robins regularly using a dish on the floor next to bushes. So perhaps it's just a question of patience.

And goggles and an ice pick (for winter).
  • Thanks Dave!

Its currently near a fence and relatively close (1.5m) to shrubs for bird security. Its a pedestal ceramic one and i've put a variety of stones in the bottom for depth and grip.

i'll leave it there a few weeks and see what happens and move it into the open more if needed,

i'll be putting in a small solar fountain shortly so maybe that will help!

thanks again.
  • You're welcome Fulgrim. Sounds like a more comprehensive approach than we use.

The solar fountain's interesting (just 'inherited' one of them).

I guess we're more concerned with security than other aspects; hence the 'out-in-the-open' approach. Smaller birds use our more sheltered watering points; larger, bolder birds the more exposed ones.

I don't know if it's much of a science. I think they'll come to clean water when they know it's there. In winter, of course, more so.
  • Its a relatively deep bath and I thought ceramic would be slippery for them so just added some pond rocks in it to give the a hand and prevent and drowning.

Yes, i've read that moving water is more attractive to most wildlife and birds will come and investigate the sound / reflected light. I'm hoping it may help to prevent freezing in winter as it has a backup battery to store power.

I would agree! provide and they will come they say.

i'll see how it goes and report back!
  • Obviously, a bird bath is also a high risk area for disease transmission.