Moorland Bird Call

Was listening to moorland birds (Scottish Borders) yeaterday evening,  Lapwings, Curlews, Grouse, Oyster Catches, Sky Lark etc.  But I was also hearing a bird I could not identify,  it was a much deeper sound (but not a Bittern)  at first I wondered if it was a Lamb but it wasn't, I'm sure it was a bird.

Any ideas of what it could have been.  

• Do Lapwings have an unusual noise from the beat of their wings ? I'm wondering if it is that what Im hearing ?
    If we get a still evening in the next few days I will go back up onto the moor and try and record it
  • Do you mean snipe and their drumming display?
  • Thank you Robbo - So it was a Snipe courtship display I was listening too,
    this You Tube vid is the exact noise that I could not attribute to a species
    www.youtube.com/watch

I had a feeling the noise was not vocal and suspected it was a turbulent wing beat sort of noise, as it turns out it is the noise made by tail feathers in a high speed dive.

Just love the bird noises up on the moors at this time of year.
  • Agree cyclist that moorland bird sound is just blooming fantastic,I've been watching and listening to our moorlands for well over 50 years and never tire of it. We had chance to explain the Snipe drumming sound to a fairly new birder on our species survey and she was pretty gobsmacked. If we lost any of these sounds the countryside would be worse off.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can