Log tailed tit hanging around.

Hello,

I am a novice at bird watching - so hope I have the correct bird!

Living in Lincolnshire, and have a variety of birds of all sizes coming to the feeders, we moved here in November and are amazed at the wildlife in our garden.

But here is the question - what I believe to be a long tailed tit comes to the feeder near the house. For a few days I have been hearing a strange noise when in the living room.

Yesterday the noise was more frequent and I saw the bird was flying up and down the window - just up and down touching the glass.

By the afternoon he/she had learned how to hang on tot he window frame - see poor quality picture.

Today this has now developed into hanging and tapping on the glass.

Perhaps we have a home - loving bird that wants to come in? Or one that wants to find a way to annoy us as the  tapping may be quiet but I am sure it will become monotonous.

Any ideas what this is about - first we though it might be insect catching - but clearly that can't be the case now.

• Hi Steep and welcome to the forum, what I think is happening is go outside and put your hand near the glass were it does this and if you can see your reflection then it might be attacking its own reflection.
  • Hi James,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I did wonder this - perhaps I have a long tailed twit, by now he should have got the message! The speed of change from flying up and down, hanging on the window (he can now do this using one leg) to tapping on the window makes me wonder if I will see a full song and dance act by tomorrow!
  • Hi steeping, as Jim says, the bird is probably attacking its own reflection and trying to ward off what it thinks is another bird. If you can break up the reflection with something like a piece of cardboard, or those cut out bird stickers you can get or simply lightly oil a piece of cling film which you can place on the inside of the window pane (which can easily be removed at a later date) then this should help prevent that mirror look which the bird is seeing.    If the bird persists in attacking the window it can harm itself so temporary prevention, if possible, is the best way.   

• It would be best to do what Hazel, has said it might end up damaging its beak if it carries on.