Huge owl

Hey, was walking at dusk this evening and heard something hissing at me from a tree, looked over and there was a giant owl looking at me, far too big to be a barn or a tawny, a car also came past and it didn't do anything but hiss, too clear things up, the owls head is at the branch he is perching on, and the tail is the thing sticking up (I thought it were ears at first!) any idea what this is? It must have been at least 1 and a half feet tall. (picture below)      

• Hi Crisp,   I would say it is a Tawny Owl and they will have chicks at the moment; the hissing sound maybe the youngster calling it's parent. I think the part of the photo which looks like a tail sticking up are the twigs/branches behind the owl. Just be a bit wary if you are near an owl nesting site as the adults can be very very protective of their offspring and on occasion they can attack you.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Hey Hazel, this would be a great explanation, but I can guarantee it was the adult hissing, and this owl was huge, I mean huge. I also still think the tail part is a tail, but might be wrong there!
  • Hi Crisp

Would agree with Hazy with regards to behaviour but as you have said it your question it was "far too big to be a tawny" the only owl I would be aware of that is of the size you give the impression of would be the Eurasian Eagle Owl. Out of interest where abouts in the UK are you?

Cheers
    Be yourself, everybody else is taken
  • Hey Yorkshire Rambler, I live in Norfolk, and this owl was just on the edge of a forest, I was also thinking it could perhaps be an Eagle owl, hence why it's on this forum, was thinking of also asking the norfolk wildlife trust.
  • Hi Crisp,  it's really hard to get an impression of size from the photo and I've taken another much closer look;   rather than owl,  it could be some sort of raptor as on zoom .... the bird facing forward looks like it has it's head looking downwards and may have a broad tail with black banding at the bottom of the pic (showing either side of the bottom branch)      I think we need an expert like Robbo for this one  !    

Regards, Hazel 

• I noticed on Google that there was escaped Eagle Owl last year, so maybe worth asking the Norfolk birding of anyone lost one or if they know of any being kept in Area.

www.edp24.co.uk/.../missing-eagle-owl-in-mid-norfolk-1-5453844
    It was found a few days later

• Hey Hazel,

if you look at the tuft of sticks on the side of the branch facing me, and look behind that, I believe that is the face of the owl, I can make out 2 black eyes and a disk shaped face,

• In reply to SunnyKate2:

Hey sunnykate,

will do
  • Sorry Hazy. I'm going to fail you. I can't make head nor tail of whatever it is. I think some of what is being identified as bird is tree, or trick of light. If the eyes were black as Crisp has just stated, that is tawny rather than eagle.....if it's an owl.
  • Hi Kate, yes I agree, it did look like an owl's head, hence my first response and I'm still uncertain; it could still be an owl facing forward  ....... although I can still equally see what could be a different raptor (what I thought were owl eyes then looked like the top of the raptors head as it bowed forward) - would be good to get other opinions as it's a difficult one. It is a puzzle for sure, like looking into coal flames and seeing different images lol

Regards, Hazel