I know I'm going to look daft but...

This is a Kestrel isn't it and not a Merlin?

My Flickr photos

• Male Kestrel for me, Alan. I think the last photo is the clincher. Reddish brown upper wings, grey head and single bar on the tail. A Merlin's upper wings are grey or dingy brown I think.
    Who's accusing you of being daft. I'll send the boys round to sort him out..LOL

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Was just about to post the same comment, or near enough, as Tony, Alan.

I'd say, from my limited experience, that the last photo is the most obvious: a male Common Kestrel.

All the best -
    Dave
  • LOL thanks Tony I made the mistake of looking on the back of my camera while was out and even though I knew it was a Kestrel the underside got me doubting it.

My Flickr photos

• Thankfully I know what this is lol

My Flickr photos

• Cheers Dave.

My Flickr photos

• Same thoughts as others D ...don't often get that underside view so clearly!

Pleased you know the little black & white job ... are you going to enlighten?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Ooh, a nice Pied Flycatcher. That's a really good bird to see and to get a photo. I didn't know you could see them in Yorkshire. I thought they were mostly confined to the western half of Britain.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• They get a few of them nesting in Padley Gorge Tony on the border of South Yorkshire (south of Sheffield) and Derbyshire on the Longshaw Estate.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to WendyBartter:

WendyBartter said:
    don't often get that underside view so clearly!

Cheers Wendy it was the colour of the underside that got me doubting myself..and if you don't ask you don't learn lol.

WendyBartter said:
    Pleased you know the little black & white job ... are you going to enlighten?

It's a Pied Flycatcher in Padley Gorge

My Flickr photos

• Sweet little bird & wouldn't have known it ... hope you waved to my relatives today?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr