Marsh or Willow?

Hello All. These photos were taken yesterday on the Wirral in a back garden. Marsh Tit or Willow Tit? I know what I think, but I'm certainly no expert.

Thanks,

Roger

• Hi Roger, I wouldn't claim to be an expert either. However, for me it's a Marsh Tit. Note the white spot at the base of the upper mandible, a two tone white/beige cheek, lack of a real silvery panel on the wing. Also, no significant gap between the black nape and the back.
    Alan knows Willow Tits quite well so let's see what he and/or others think.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I think that's neither - I am pretty sure it is a Blackcap.
  • In reply to TeeJay:

TeeJay said:
    Alan knows Willow Tits quite well so let's see what he and/or others think.

I wish Tony...I only know mine are Willow Tits because it is rare to get a Marsh.

And I agree with you that it looks like a Marsh Tit

This is a Willow Tit

but here s a Willow Tit (I hope LOL) with a slight white shading to the top beak

My Flickr photos

• I'm sorry Kevin but you are wrong. This is a Blackcap (male). Hopefully, you can see the difference.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Totally agree that that is a Marsh Tit.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• In reply to TeeJay:

Thanks Tony. That’ll help me with a bird I saw this morning :)
  • Thanks to all for your expert input. I said in my post that I had my own ideas about what it is, and it turns out I was correct (honest!). I noted the glossy cap, white bill mark, lack of a wing panel, and smallish bib, but was unwilling/unable to commit myself. What a great resource this community is!
    Roger
  • Glad we were all in agreement, Roger. They can be tricky to differentiate. A bit like the Chiffchaff/ Willow Warbler conundrum - unless you hear them sing.

Feel free to share your photos if you would like to. The Odds and Sods thread is a useful one for ad-hoc sightings.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I'm with the Marsh Tits on this one,always a good species for a little i.d. discussion.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can