What could a small bird same shape as long tailed tit be? It is black and white - has white stripe down back. We have seen a pair in the garden on the bird feeder in West Yorkshire.

What would a bird similar to long tailed tit be? Has white stripe down back - mainly black and white.

• Hi the only thing I can find is a Pied Flycatcher?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Have you considered a Coal Tit? They have a white stripe on the back of the head although it doesn't go all the way down the back.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks for the replies. It’s not a coal tit as I know this one and also the tail is longer like a long tailed tit’s shape and length. I have looked up the pied flycatcher and it isn’t his either. My partner thinks it could be a variant of our British long tailed tit. I will see if I can get a picture if the pair visit again.
  • I think Catlady might have meant a Pied wagtail.

Jim

My Pictures

• Pied Flycatcher

Pied wagtail. 

Thought the Flycatcher first or the Waggie.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I would have thought that Coal Tit would be the answer but you say that you know Coal Tit. I can't think of anything with a stripe all the way down the back, especially not that you would expect to find using a feeder. If it was just one bird then yes it could be a leucistic bird or a rarity but if there are a pair of them, then those options seem less likely.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• The fact they are using a feeder counts out many species. I've never seen, or even heard of, a wagtail using a feeder.
    A pair of Long Tailed Tits sounds the best option.

Richard G B

• Was the breast white with a dark head and wings?

Richard G B