What birds are these?

Photo taken at Newbiggin beach. What are these birds?

• Hi Clinton welcome to the community.
    I'm rubbish with Waders but will guess they are Redshanks.

My Flickr photos

• Thank you, I think you are correct. I have a bird ID app and redshank looked the closest match but they look slightly different in real life and this is a new interest so I wasn’t sure. Thank you.
  • Someone will be along that will tell you for certain Clinton.

My Flickr photos

• I would say they're Redshanks, too - they have the red legs, red base of bill and are the right overall shape, with the right bill length.

Nige   Flickr

• Thankyou, that’s helpful.

Clinton
  • I certainly agree with the above; they are definitely Redshanks. They have quite different breeding and winter plumages so if an app showed you something that doesn't quite tally it could be down to that. Also, in winter plumage, variation in lighting can make the them appear either more brown or more grey so they won't always look quite the same each time you see them..
  • I certainly agree with the above; they are definitely Redshanks. They have quite different breeding and winter plumages so if an app showed you something that doesn't quite tally it could be down to that. Also, in winter plumage, variation in lighting can make the them appear either more brown or more grey so they won't always look quite the same each time you see them..