Help identifying this beautiful bird please

He's not in a cage btw the picture is through the bars at a playground.

• Hi Carole, looks like a common buzzard to me but wait for other opinions; plumage looks quite pale athough this does vary amongst buzzards.

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thank you, we thought a buzzard initially but his fluffy legs and white face made us think otherwise. Perhaps he's a youngster. He's very brazen and isn't roaming far. Virtually any time of day I see him.
  • In reply to Carole Littlehales:

We have some good experts on here Carole who can not only ID birds for you but also give excellent tips and pointers as to how to recognise different species.

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• In reply to HAZY:

As Hazel has said a Buzzard's plumage colouring can vary widely. I think this is what they call a pale morph. I found this article which has a photo showing three examples from a dark variant though an intermediate form to the very pale form which you saw.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

Thank you, interesting article.
  • I think it is a very pale Common Buzzard,as already said they do vary a lot within a range of plumage. I'm sure this is just to keep birders on their toes !!

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can