I need help identifying a one time visitor to our garden. Have tried to google it, but had no success.

• In reply to melodious:

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a blackbird , there were others nearby and the shape and size just looked different especially in the face. I’m hoping he/she will be back .... camera ready
  • In reply to Annieharper:

Fingers-crossed that you get a shot, Annie, it will be interesting to see it.
  • Hi Annie , I’ve just joined the community as I’d seen your post whilst trying to identity a bird I saw near Nottingham yesterday , I think it sounds like yours. I’ got a photo as my husband was driving , it’s not great but if it is I’d love to know what it was . 

• In reply to LynnWhite :

Hi Lynne welcome to the community from Sheffield.
    Your bird is a Fieldfare, a winter visitor from Scandanavia,

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Good morning Alan , thank you so much for replying , I’ll check out Fieldfares later , regards lynn

Hello Lynn, welcome also from me up in the very far north of Scotland, in Caithness. Enjoy being here.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

At least you got a pic...wish I had The bird I saw was entirely the colour of your birds head, someone suggested it might be a mutation ... if that’s the case,it may well have been a Fieldfare . I’ve trawled the Internet for something that looked like it...best I remember,thought at the time it almost looked jay like... and haven’t found anything . So unless it comes back, I’m going with probably Fieldfare..
  • In reply to Annieharper:

Hi Annie , I thought jay too , I wasn’t sure if maybe females were drab looking until I checked ! Think I have a long way to go with my bird knowledge , hope it returns so you get your photo .
  • In reply to Catlady:

Thank you for the hello !