Can anyone tell me what these birds are please?

• Hi Andy
    They are Lapwings

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Many thanks Alan - found them straight away once you told me the name... I'm a complete novice but I'm sure I'll soon get the hang of things and learn to unearth info myself!

• In reply to AndyP-1559802356:

One thing I've learnt Andy is you never stop learning.
    They were called Peewits as I was growing up.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

You're right about the learning Alan - I've recently retired and realised I've spent a lifetime seeing birds and appreciating them without knowing anything about any of them - time to correct it; and a great excuse to get out and about too!

You won't regret getting out and about Andy especially with either a camera or bins, it is surprising how much you will notice.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Agreed Alan - I've always used bins and I've got a camera now to help keep a record of what I see... It's pretty embarrassing really - I was a soldier for nearly 40 years and saw quite a lot of the world; jungles, deserts, mountains, forests, prairies, arctic etc and never took a camera anywhere! I guess I'll have to revisit some of the places with my eyes focussed differently...

There is another member on here (Hazy/Hazel) that has lived all over the world and like you she wan't into photography at the time.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

I have been taking pictures for years sadly I have only been to the Isle of Man on my Bike to the TT and had a film camera, thing is you had to learn all about photography or waste money on having it developed, so I did all this in my bedroom and had an enlarger to do it myself even taught three people how to do it, now you don't have to do all that youjust need a fast comp to do it all and any pictures you don;t like get rid :) so enjoy your photography and we are always here to help we have some very knowledgeable peps on here who can help you on your way.

Jim

My Pictures

• In reply to Alan.:

It's not just me then... I guess it depends on your priorities at the time and of course it was much harder in the days before digital cameras and the internet at your fingertips 24/7. I was always travelling light and invariably had to carry everything you took which tended to focus you on the essentials!   

• In reply to James:

Thanks James - I'll be sure to shout up if (when) I need help again...