Something like an American Robin

Walking to work this morning I saw what I thought was a large thrush from the back, but then I glimpsed a large red chest, so I took a double take - certainly nothing that I'd seen before. It had a clear dash of white under its eye, a dark head, and was on frosted grass beside a suburban road in Leeds, West Yorkshire. I am very far from a bird expert, but having been looking at pictures of red breasted birds, it absolutely looks like an American Robin - except that the white dash under the eye was a straight line, whereas in pictures it seems curved; and I didn't notice white above the eye. What else might it have been? I understand that American Robins are extremely rare in the UK, though not unknown, so it's far more likely to have been something else. Any ideas?

• If it was a Redstart, Kieron, it could well be the only occasion one has ever occurred in Britain in mid-winter. I'd certainly be interested to hear is anyone can think of an example.
  • Hi All—
    On the 2nd of January 2021 I was out for a walk and saw what I described to my (much more knowledgeable) wife what I can only describe a a ‘Giant Robin’. We looked on our books to no avail. We just chatted again about it and my wife googled ‘Large Robin’ and a picture of an American Robin appeared in the search. She showed me the picture and this was definitely what I saw!
    The sighting was on the outskirts of Otley (West Yorkshire) on the 2nd of Jan, 2021.
    I watched it (and it watched me for about 20 seconds. I then tried to take a picture, but by the time I got my phone camera out it flew away! :(
  • Would agree with Robbo, American Robins are extremely rare vagrants to Britain (I believe less than 50 recorded in total) and the behaviour seems to fit Redwings. It's not impossible that it is in fact an American Robin, this is the time of year (Oct-April) most of the records have been recorded. A photo would have helped immensely, but when it comes to winter thrushes, it's often the case of Fieldfare/Redwing. Otley is also fairly far inland and American Robins are rare enough that it'd be a fairly big deal, and would likely have been picked up earlier. That said, definitely keep an eye out for another opportunity to spot it and photograph it :) Interested to see the culprit.