The 'La La' Bird

Hi All, For a few years now, my husband and I have heard what we think is a bird in the surrounds of our back garden but we cannot find anywhere any suggestion of what it might be. The only sound it seems to make (that is, the only sound we can identify it by) is 'La(pause)La(pause)La' We haven't heard anything like this before and when trying the BirdUp app, nothing is returned even on Sensitivity Very High. The tone of the sound is quite loud too. I would be really grateful if someone could resolve this mystery for us! Thanks in advance.
  • Hi Vikki, hard to know what it could be but Bullfinches have a single note (repeated) sound call  - did it sound anything like this

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Hi Hazel, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, it isn't the La La bird.  This sound is more of a chirp. Appreciate the response though!

Kind regards

Vikki  

• In reply to Vikki C:

Hi Vikki could it be a Dunnock www.youtube.com/watch

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan:

HI Vikki, there are a number of birds that make repetitive contact calls especially at this time of year.

Alan has suggested one. Another one is a Chaffinch.

Jerome Fischer, XC319851. Accessible at www.xeno-canto.org/319851.

Another possibility if you are in a rural location, is the Chiffchaff which reverts to a "hueet" call after it's finished "chiff-chaffing"

Peter Boesman, XC281584. Accessible at www.xeno-canto.org/281584.

Obviously, it would be better if you could get a recording otherwise we are just guessing.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi All. We managed to get a recording of this "bird" (we hope it's a bird anyway!) Hopefully we can get this identified now.
  • In reply to Vikki C:

That is an unusual sound and not something I immediately recognise. I'm not even sure if it is a bird.

Could you describe the habitat where you live eg is there water or ponds nearby. Do you only hear it at certain times of day and does it occur all year round?

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

Sounds a bit like a goose honking/calling

• In reply to see gull:

The 'tempo' reminds me of a cuckoo call but the sound is not the same ...

My Gallery

"Any glimpse into the life of an animal quickens our own and makes it so much the larger and better in every way." John Muir

• In reply to TeeJay:

Hi Tony, we are situated in the middle of trees/houses surrounding the garden, no water in the immediate area, although the river is about half a mile away.  We only seem to hear it in spring/summer and we hear it around 9am and then a couple of times through the day.

• In reply to Vikki C:

Thanks for the extra info, Vikki. The reason I asked about water was that I wondered whether it was a water bird of some sort or even an amphibian. From what you say both would seem to be ruled out.

I've listened again but I'm sorry I can't offer any useful  suggestions. The monotonous regularity of its call is strange and unless you can see it, it may remain a mystery.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream