owl in se23 (london)?! or fox?

Hi all Brand new to this forum - I hope someone can help me with this! Every night for the past 2 weeks or so just after dusk I've heard a call that sounds like it *could* - *could*! - be an owl. I live close to the Garthorne Nature Reserve in SE23 but not close enough that I'd expect to hear one. Anyway I managed to record it this evening. It sounds big so I don't think it's a songbird and it doesn't sound like a dog or a cat, or anything small like a squirrel. It might - might - be a fox, but I don't know. I've never heard a fox make this noise in London in over 25 years here. I've uploaded it here:
Voice 012_003.m4a
  • Hi John and welcome to the forum from Mitcham in Surrey. There are quite a few foxes around here and that's not a noise I have heard. I'm no expert on Owls, but I'm sure someone with more knOWLedge will be able to advise.

• Hi John, for some reason I can't hear anything apart from a very faint sound which I can't pick up. Can anyone up the volume on the recording?

• Unknown said:
    I'm sure someone with more knOWLedge will be able to advise.

You should be struck off for that terrible joke, MC. LOL

John, it does sound like an owl but I'm not confident. The best I can come up with is the song of a male Short-eared Owl. Here's a couple of recordings I've managed to track down.

Short-eared Owls are around in the south at the moment. For example, they have been seen at Rainham Marshes on the north bank of the Thames. As I said I am not at all certain so could be way off the mark. Hopefully, someone else will have some ideas 

• It sounds higher pitch than the Short-eared owl, but I can't think of a better suggestion! The type of call is about right.

• I agree Hazel it does sound a bit different. I'm struggling with this one but SEO was the best I could come up with although it seems a bit unlikely in SE London. Funny thing is the call sounds vaguely familiar but I just can't put my finger on it

• I think I would opt for a Tawny Owl but it is not easy with all the background noise.

• The more I listen the more I think it's not a bird, unless it's an exotic escaped bird/animal. Sounds like it would be more at home in the jungle!

• Hello John and welcome form me up in the very far north of Scotland in Caithness. Enjoy here, lots to see and lovely folks to meet. Have listened to your sound and went onto web and typed in Fox Sounds, the 1st thread shows a 2 minute video with their different calls, but noe sound like yours. Sorry don't know, did think owl.

• thanks all for the answers so far. i haven't heard it today.. i suppose it's possible it's an exotic pet of some sort but it sounds very 'outdoors' if so.