Are BRENT geese a rare sighting

Hi everyone

Been up at Gruinard Bay in North West Scotland, when about 30 Brent Geese landed, they were pretty jumpy as I tried to get close to take a photograph as they all took flight again, but came back to the same spot about 30 minutes later.    This is the first time I have ever seen these Geese, are they a rare sighting?

• Commanderman said:
    I have in fact now fully identified the bird they were not brent geese but red Breasted Pochards (rare in UK?)

Do you mean Red-crested Pochards (m&f) as below.

Or Common Pochard. (m)

Neither of these birds look anything like a Brent Goose which is largely black and white. I think we a need a photo - even from a phone would do - next time you cycle that way.

• Hi tony yes I did mean red crested the first time I saw them they were mixed in with Canada geese and some way off still dont know how I got it wrong the first time , the 2and time I got photo,s on my phone but the magnification isn't good but i had my binoculars,s and got a very good look at them most definitely red crested Pochards today I came across its cousin the pochard on the jubilee river between the M4 and lake end road and also heard my first two cettis warblers as well how do I put photo,s on
    Andy
  • Probably best to start a new thread rather than tack on to this one which is 8 years old. I'd suggest you use the All creatures forum if you want to post new photos. Just click on +New, give it a title and then enter any text in the main pane and use the insert drop down menu to insert photos one at a time. Max size of photos is 4 Mb but smaller will load more readily. It's not obvious but if you want to get to the main editor at any time click on Use rich formatting below any reply box. Good luck