Help me identify this bird!

Hello everyone,

Today I saw a bird in the garden that caught my eye and imagination in a way that no other bird ever has. I am not an expert or even an enthusiast and usually the birds come and go and they are lovely to look at but I could not tell you what any of them are called. The only bird I could identify is a sparrow, just to give you some idea of my level of knowledge. I thought I would consult your combined wisdom in the hope that you could identify the bird that I saw. It may be the case that it is nothing special, some kind of starling maybe, but in any case, I would love to know. Unfortunately, when I first saw this bird (it was eating a fat ball) I did not have my camera handy. If I had then I would be able to show you a good clear picture. I went to get my camera in case it came back, it did, and I took a few pictures. I am sorry for the quality of the pictures, my camera is not the best and it did not return to a spot that would enable a decent picture anyway. Here are the pics. Please follow this link http://imgur.com/EO0HQet,RUVB1TA,CJpnQnD,8eZFVbL#0 .There are 4 pictures in the collection and you can navigate to the rest by clicking on Second picture, Third picture etc. Imgur is a reputable image hosting website (google it) if you were worried about following the link.

Some details about the bird: The bird had a very slender upper body/head/neck, the curvature from head to beak was virtually continuous . It had a very long, black beak (relative to it's head). It was totally black, apart from some slight light brown speckles towards the end of it's feathers. Around the head I noticed that the bird was shiny/glossy and had a very very slight tinge of purple. It was a startling beautiful bird and the reason I have taken to this forum is that my googling has proven unsuccessful, including the bird identifier on this site. The birds that I have found to have similar features are Common Grackle, Glossy Starling, European Starling, Brewer's Blackbird. I just cannot find an image of a bird that looked exactly like the one I saw.

Any feedback is appreciated. I know the pictures do not give much idea of the colour and texture of the bird but maybe the shape will be recognisable to someone?

Thanks,

Jake.