I'm going to feed the birds all year round. Is this ok?

Hia Folks

I'm new to this website, but have already had loads of lovely replies to other messages I have posted.  

In the past, I've only ever fed my Garden Birds during the winter.  But in the last few years I've heard it's ok to feed them all year round.  So I plan to start doing this.  I feel my Garden Birds "forget" I feed them, so if I feed all year round they will get used to looking in my Garden for their food.  Next door have Goldfinches and I want to encourage them to my Garden.  

So, unless there's a strong reason why I should not feed my Birds all year round, hope this is ok?  What does everyone else do?

Alison

http://ceneyresearcher.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://www.youfreeweb.com/crazydaizy/

• Great post Ian.I do think it is important to check out what to feed, and what not to feed at different times of the year. I will certainly continue to feed all year round.

I would love to feed the hedgehogs again, as i did back home but sadly they can't get access to our garden.

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• Happy new year Jenny, we've disagreed on this subject before. Nothing I have read or heard has altered my opinion, and thanks Ian for asking others to respect my opinion. My garden is absolutely teaming with birds and wildlife and I haven't fed once this winter. I do have a cheeky robin who follows me around when I'm doing a spot of gardening. There must be other things that keep the woodpecker, various tits thrushes and blackbirds interested, but it certainly isn't me providing regular feeds! I do have a problem with commercial wild bird feeding sites and I can't fathom out why RSPB seems to promote these circuses!

Primum non nocare

• Tashanka Witco, for clarification my comments apply to all posting on the forum.

Best wishes

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Hi T...I think you should respect our opinions too.I think you made your point very well, but you wont be changing our views either and i think Ian was asking us all to understand and respect each other.That is what we try to do so we beg to differ.We are all different and all entitled to our opinions .

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• Phew. What have I started!! (sorry folks)

Alison

http://ceneyresearcher.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://www.youfreeweb.com/crazydaizy/

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 11/01/2012 14:47 in reply to CrazyDaizy

You started a very sensible thread that asked a very valid question :-)

• CrazyDaizy said:

Phew. What have I started!! (sorry folks)

Dont worry about it CrazyDaizy.

I suggest the topic of your next post should be "I love cats"

Then watch the fur fly lol.

A very old Shropshire Lad.

• Hi Alison

This goes along with a question I asked awhile back about do we feed the birds for them or for us ?

The answer being both of course and I now think that gardens play a very large part in keeping a lot of our birds going. With more and more being given over to every type of building work going, a little help does not go a miss.

Keeping feeding and enjoying the joy these wonderful birds bring everyday.

Try white sunflower hearts for the Goldfinches, with the feeders out in the open.

Robert

• Love your name, CrazyDaizy. No worries about feathers getting ruffled, this old bird isn't afraid.

p.s. what exactly goes into these suet (fat) balls? what creatures are used in their manufacture? What bits are they using exactly? Are they made using meat that is unfit for human consumption? How much preservatives do they contain? Do they have use-by dates? How many tons of animal byproducts are used annually to make wild bird food? Do any creatures get killed just to meet demand or is it a byproduct from another source?

oops I think I've done it again, tin hats on!!!

• The RSPB have an excellent page on different feeds etc.Go read that and you may learn something ,rather than deliberately trying to goad people here.I think the members have learnt to recognise unpleasant posts and you haven't done anything again, as it stops here ha ha.Have a nice day :0)))