Wrens

How do I attract wrens - the one I had has not now been seen since we had the snow.

2 feeders with niger seed attracts a group of 6 goldfinches so that has been a great success

• Brilliant, Woodpecker - thanks a lot - will defintiely get the mealworms on Monday.

• Typical ! In an effort to show me up our garden wren has just turned up for the first time today & what did he eat ? Several bits of atora shredded suet from the ground feeder tray. That's the first time I've ever seen him do that honest !

• Hi FollyLane and welcome!

What you are doing for wrens as recommended by all our friends will also suit robins and dunnocks.

:-)

Andy

Seriously thinking about trying harder!

• Brilliant, thanks. Then maybe I can increase my robin population to 2? A male & a female.

• Bella your posting made me laugh outloud! I am really beginning to enjoy this blogging stuff. I can see now how addictive it coulkd become. Still as I am learning something .......

• I have lots of Wrens in the garden and their favourite food is mild Cheddar cheese very finely grated. I have never seen them eat a meal worm I think they are too big for them.

If you see a Wren in your gerden put some cheese near to where you saw them. Try to hide it as the bigger birds will take it.  My Wrens are so used to me feeding them they come right up to the house to be fed. I put cheese at the bottom of pots or tubs and in the window box which is great because you can see them close up.

• Cottagegardener said:

I have lots of Wrens in the garden and their favourite food is mild Cheddar cheese very finely grated. I have never seen them eat a meal worm I think they are too big for them.

If you see a Wren in your gerden put some cheese near to where you saw them. Try to hide it as the bigger birds will take it.  My Wrens are so used to me feeding them they come right up to the house to be fed. I put cheese at the bottom of pots or tubs and in the window box which is great because you can see them close up.

I have never seen them eat the normal dried mealworms but they will eat mini mealworms in the breeding season. Mini mealworms are really really small, they are recommended for baby bluetits & wrens. I order them on Ebay from a chap who does live reptile food. They are very popular indeed ! Do have pictures from last 2 springs but cannot find them right this minute.

• Our resident wren has been very active all morning...I think the sunshine has encouraged him. He has visited every patio pot looking for bugs. He has visited the birdbath & found it frozen solid in spite of the sun & has sung very loudly from the top of the crab apple tree. That's the first time I've heard him singing this year. Do you think he might think that spring has sprung ?

• I love wrens - small bird, big song.  We have one or two who hop around the flower beds checking under leaves for food.  Good idea to put stuff out on pots, especially as there is not much growing at this time.  I also have a resident black labrador who is great at sniffing food out, so the pot idea might fool her for a while.  Don't think I could put cheese out though as she absolutely loves it and would find it anywhere!

December 21st is a great day - the sun starts to come back to us and spring is in the air!