Feeding garden birds from an upstairs window

Hi everyone I’m new to this forum, this year I have decided to get a window bird feeder for my bedroom window. I used to face the main road and I didn’t have any joy with any birds coming to my feeder. In late October I moved rooms facing the back Garden. I don’t have any bushes, trees or flowers in my garden and I’m not able to get any either unfortunately. 

I admire the wildlife and I think it would be really cool if birds came to my feeder how can I attract birds to come to my feeding station that’s on my window? I live in Greenwich I’ve seen some birds fly around which is what prompted me in the beginning to get food for them. 

thank you

• Unknown said:
    Good news about the birds visiting your feeder, Lilly, but if all 8 Starlings try to sit on the feeder at the same time, that might well make it crash to the ground below--fingers crossed that does not happen. Starlings occasionally do argue with each other, which can be very amusing. They are good mimics, too, and once you have feeders down in the garden you might find them fooling you as to which birds you think you are hearing. Apparently they can even mimic car alarms and mobile phones but since I am usually watching them from inside and they are outside, I have not heard that myself. I look forward to seeing more reports about your birds, those birds seen at your window and when out and about.

Hello Ann thank you for your response, I have a few feeders on my window since the arrival of a family of 8 starlings. Last night I put out to plant saucer dishes and filled one with sunflower hearts mixed with a tiny bit of dried meal worms to persuade them to go to it. (That technique has worked!) I could hear two starlings and see there shadows through my curtain feeding from it as well as sitting in the little bath I put in the other saucer. 

I also have a teacup and saucer feeder that is hanging from the string where the red circle is to cater for all the birds. The window where the teacup and saucer is currently jammed I can’t open it but I have someone coming in the upcoming days to fix all of my windows so they open properly. There are some hanging feeders low down as well with the fat balls in them (Not footballs lol) And a suet mix but they haven’t touched that. 

That is very interesting, I’ve never heard them mimicking any other sounds, il be on the listen out from now on though thank you

• Hello everyone, it surely has been a while since I’ve posted. I thought you might like a little update, I have been putting food out each week for my loyal bird visitors. The starlings have come everyday since the very beginning of the first post. I’m so happy that they have been coming, I was also greeted in the spring about May 2022 with there babies. It was a very noisy few months as they were growing and learning new milestones each week. However it has been so sweet watching them grow and turn all speckled. I can’t tell you how fast May to Mid September that happened. 

I have had a few other visitors too, in the early summer I had house sparrows, pigeons and on occasions wrens come. I have also in the last couple of weeks had a blue tit visit (I think it got blown away during the wind we had as I haven’t seen it since) but today I have been greeted by a female parakeet at my feeder. It tends to follow the starlings to my feeder. It came 7 different times today. So I’m really hoping it remembers where the food is and comes back :) 

• Also I’m not sure if this allowed but I wanted to share with you all what I have been inspired to do during 2022 and from all the garden birds and wildlife I have seen this year. I’m a children’s illustrator and I go to stalls I’ve not seen anyone else do what I have done which is design little prints inspired by what I’ve seen.

These did very at my stalls and they are on my online store now as my stalls have finished for 2022.

All of what I raise I give it back to the RSPB and another charity close to my heart HeartSmiley cat
  • I won’t put a link as I’m not sure if it’s allowed but my online store is under the name MissLillyIllustrates (if you want to see more put in a search bar) :)