Hedgehogs stopped feeding

• Thanks Wendy. After checking trail cams it was a wood mouse that swiped the food (again)! I guess i'm still seeing the hogs around, and they seem healthy, so maybe they are just foraging enough natural food. Our garden is very unkempt and has lots of bugs. Cams are out most nights now so hoping they come for a snack again before hibernation time!
  • You must have a plentiful supply of nztural food Neil, my garden is only very small so lucky enough to see three of the hoggie youngsters feeding well through the night with one in residence in hoghouse, had three together a few times over past few nights!
    Last night's footage, another wet one unfortunately bringing out the slugs
    https://youtu.be/bV56DTTJLK0
    Many more on my YT channel!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Nice footage Wendy. It looks like the hog with the slug tries to dislodge it as it leaves the feeding station! You certainly have a busy little hog family there!
  • if its of any comfort, our hedgehogs have stopped visiting.

It could be pure coincidence, but the temps dropped dramatically the night they stopped visiting.

Another link that might be of some interest is the British Hedgehog Society: https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/

Also check out your local wildlife trust, they often have good info and more to your location as well.

I look forward to any follows.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Good link Mike. They were very helpful when we had the big batch, and we donated for a number of years.
  • Thanks Mike, that's helpful. It does seem like others have experienced similar this time of year.

The BHS were very helpful when we had a gas company digging up pavements and leaving large holes for a month, with no work being done, and no barriers to prevent hedgehogs falling in. I think they wrote to the company after i contacted them for advice!
  • In reply to NeilW:

NeilW said:
    Thanks Mike, that's helpful. It does seem like others have experienced similar this time of year.

The BHS were very helpful when we had a gas company digging up pavements and leaving large holes for a month, with no work being done, and no barriers to prevent hedgehogs falling in. I think they wrote to the company after i contacted them for advice!

You're welcome.

I have a trailcam monitoring the ground in our very urban back garden, and since we last conversed, still no hedgehog sightings here, and the temps suddenly dropped down to 3ºC so my guess is they've gone into hibernation.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler