Birds vs windows.

We have a lot of birds in the garden; but by far the majority are house sparrows.  Unfortunately as their numbers have increased, so have the instances of them flying into a particular window; it's a sparrow apocalypse.  I've buried three sparrow and rescued two very unhappy birds in the last two weeks alone.

Has anyone got any experience of sticking things to the windows?  What did you use, and did it work?  I'm pretty sure it's the reflection of the sky and tree for which they're heading.

• We often had the same issue, particularly with south-facing windows Russell.

Our solution wasn't to stick anything to the windows. We had deep window ledges outside, and roller blinds. A combination of stuff hanging from the blinds (fir cones, for example) and stuff standing up close to the glass (we installed long flower troughs, filled them with dry floristry foam, covered that in moss (to make it nicer), and stuck branches in it) did the job. The birds seemed to be able to identify the glass as something to avoid, based---I guess---on the pattern of reflections.

Might not work for you, but it certainly did for us (and for the birds).

Best regards -
    Dave
  • Got to admit I don't understand why vertical blinds aren't considered in preference to partially effective stickers. Been a few posts similar to this recently. Vertical blinds don't stop people seeing out. They do stop some of the heat building up in the house, are good for security esp when away, good for privacy and if wanting to look out the window for days on end, can be opened and rolled back. Obviously, on those occasions bird strikes could occur. That has been my choice of collision deterrent though.
  • They'll be retrofitting them across the UK if the temperature forecasts are correct Robbo.

To be honest, having left England over 30 years ago, I don't understand how everyone stays cool. Here, horizontal roller blinds or, in our case, oak shutters are pretty much the norm (although it's hard to see the birds, particularly through the oak).
  • Cheers chaps.

I'll try putting something temporary up for now; it's not a room we usually use, so it's on the list to decorate (which will include curtains or somesuch).

I think it's the reflection on the glass more than the absense of anything behind it. I suppose if it contniues I can simply put some tape on the outside.
  • It is the reflection, but having stuff behind the glass stops collisions. Curtains are partially effective. Unless they're permanently closed, birds can and do still fly into prone windows.
  • I'd say it's only something on the outside that will do the job Russell, or that's my experience at least.

When the light's right (or wrong, if you're a bird), anything on the in- (room-) side is invisible, and all they see is more trees and sky.

Good luck with the decorating!

All the best -
    Dave
  • Can't say I agree with that latest post, Dave. I've only had collisions in windows with nothing up, or curtains open. Never with blinds. Ditto re relatives.
  • p.s. five collisions in two weeks clearly suggests it is going to continue.

• Yes that was my concern; when I look up at the window from below it's like a mirror image of the sky.

It's 5 collisions in two weeks that resulted in birds dead or on the floor; I hear bonks on the glass all the time!
  • @ Robbo, understood. I've little or no experience with interior vertical blinds. Like you, I imagine, I can only talk from experience, and in mine, outside 'interference' with what Russell describes as a 'mirror image' is the solution.
    But that isn't conclusive.

@ Russell, you can ('always') try the warm-hands trick. Sometimes (only if said bird isn't actually killed in the collision, of course) a few minutes in closed, cupped hands is enough to revive a victim. I had that experience many years ago with a Goldcrest (purely by accident) and have had many a small bird make off after a little time in a warm, dark pair of hands.

In passing, it really sucks how the built environment, our built environment, can be so unfriendly to fauna.

Architects, manufacturers, and builders on the rack for a while, I think. Not all, of course. Just most.

Anyway, animals to feed, including ourselves; have a great evening both of you -
    Dave