Are Trees the reason the birds have disappeared

I’ve always had frequent visitors to my garden from many different birds as well as bluetits nesting for many consecutive years. However 3 years ago a number of trees were cut down to make way for new houses. Since then despite still providing food I’ve had no birds nesting and the only birds coming to feed are Tree & House Sparrows, Blackbirds, Wood Pigeons and Collarded Doves. I’d dearly love to see the other birds back like Robbins, Bluetits, Great Tits, Greenfinches & Chaffinches etc. Are the missing trees the reason the birds have disappeared and how can I get them back?

• Very likely, and certainly for some species.

My drive to and from work encompasses sections of the HS2 route, both Phase 1 from London to Birmingham and Phase 2 Birmingham northwards. A lot of trees, no, woodland is more the case, has been removed to facilitate this monstrosity, which has removed a lot of bird life that I used to see on the drive to and from work.

When one large expanse of woodland was removed earlier this year for HS2 Phase 2, the nearby lampposts on the drive to work were over crowded with birds jostling for a perch, now, they're devoid of any birds.

I noticed Monday a farm had all its buildings boarded up with the blue painted boards used for HS2 areas, so I guess any swallows that nested there will be homeless next year, if not sooner....

• We had a similar situation too. Three or four years ago about half a dozen mature trees were felled to make way for a couple of bungalows. We quickly saw a drop in the number and variety of birds visiting our garden. However, the good news is that this year we seem to have seen a change as we've had a really big increase. The tits are still a bit on the low side but we get lot's of goldfinch. We still put the same kind of feed out - mainly sunflower hearts, fat balls, rehydrated mealworms and some kitchen scraps, however last year we also started planting pollinator friendly flowers. Not suggesting that that's the reason but it can't hurt to increase the insect numbers!

In some cases, and maybe only because it was just a few trees in ours nature is able to adapt. Hope you get the same result!
  • This is really sad. We live just a couple of miles from the HS2 proposed route and it's set to go through the riding school my daughter goes to. The best bit (for me) is seeing the dozens of swallows darting around, in and out of the stables and barns. Awful to think that might be gone. Government should do us a favour and scrap the idea now!
  • david1202 said:
    This is really sad. We live just a couple of miles from the HS2 proposed route and it's set to go through the riding school my daughter goes to. The best bit (for me) is seeing the dozens of swallows darting around, in and out of the stables and barns. Awful to think that might be gone. Government should do us a favour and scrap the idea now!

It is extremely sad, and not wanting to stir a political debate, there's a lot more desecration to come if it goes ahead, and woe betide nature and the countryside if Sajid Javid becomes the next PM, he is totally for HS2, and has made that quite clear.

Our trees and woodlands need protecting, for nature to survive.

• Well that’s given me a bit of hope knowing the birds have returned to your garden! Hopefully in time and with a bit of perseverance I’ll have the same result. Thanks for your reply.
  • What trees do you have in your own garden, and is there scope for adding to them. I lost nesting magpies and collared doves when my neighbour cut down several tall conifers, but I have four or five small trees in my own garden (hazel, holly, apples, field maple) and the population of robins, blackbirds, tits and goldfinches was unaffected.