How to help a single parent (blackcap)?

• In reply to cigaline:

Nice to hear about the Blackcaps in your garden Cigaline.       All juveniles (before they gain their adult feathers) will resemble the female of the species, a bit like Bullfinches.     This is a newly fledged Blackcap I came across at the beginning of August,  a few years ago (on a Derbyshire Walk)  …..  as you can see it has a brown cap to the head and resembles the female Blackcap (it could have been male or female).  

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Thanks Dave - our elder tree is indeed like a thick bush, covered in old man's beard, and they do seem to like spending lots of time in there.

Alas I no longer have a good camera since my digital SLR packed it in a little while ago so I can't get any good pictures of them, but looking at them through the binoculars is very exciting!
  • In reply to HAZY:

Wow those pictures are fabulous Hazel! Thanks for explaining what the juveniles look like. I suppose I was using the term juvenile without being sure of how long they considered as such... Of the three birds we saw, 2 had distinct black caps, and the other had a brown cap. So they definitely had adult feathers but I thought that they still seemed smaller than the adult I had seen (not by much though). And the fact that there were two males together made me think they must be part of a new brood.
  • Morning cigaline,    I've been reading up more about the juvenile Blackcap and seems you may be able to distinguish the sexes on juveniles although I don't know if this is possible immediately after fledging the nest or maybe a week or so later.   This is what I read   "Juveniles are similar to the adult female, except the juvenile males have black-brown cap and the juvenile female a yellow-brown cap".   I'm now looking back at my photos and thinking is this perhaps a male as it looks more black-brown on the cap … then again I'd need the help from an expert !!     

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Blackcaps love elder berries. I make sure I have a couple of large sections of elder. Scruffy, but always good for getting warblers in the garden. Re your individuals, I don't think associating blackcaps in a garden can be directly linked to nests. We have brief blackcap song every year in the garden here, but don't believe we've ever had a nest. We get dozens of birds through the garden every year though. They also like the mahonia berries.....