Is reusing a failed nest box too risky?

I have just cleaned out my blue tit box and really sad to find 6 feathered dead chicks. I had previously hoped that they had all fledged. I wondered if you could suggest what has caused this and should I put the nest box up after cleaning or is it too risky that it’ll happen again if it was too warm etc.

It had a blue tit size nest box plate so I’m thinking that no other birds could have got in. I’m worried I caused it because the mum and dad were taking sunflower seeds from the feeder and I’m worried they got dehydrated. They definitely didn’t abandon the nest because I still saw them visiting even when I couldn’t hear them cheeping anymore. 

Thank you very much for your help. 

• Nests fail for a variety of reasons - Yes, they may have got too warm but there is not a lot you can do about that except make sure that the box is sited in shade so not on a South/ South West wall.
    Sunflower seeds are not really an appropriate food for the nestlings - usually the adults eat the seeds and then take caterpillars for the nestlings but if there had been a shortage of natural food they may well have fed the babies with the seeds.
    Going forward if you want to support your bird life plant and manage the garden in such a way that you are able to encourage the insects in that the birds will take as food and also look for fledgling food next year, maybe even offering a few live mealy/wax worms - just be aware they can go sour in hot weather.

Cin J

• Thank you very much for your reply. It isn’t on a South or a South West wall so maybe it was the sunflower seeds. I will only leave out mealy worms next year or suet pellets. Do you think it’s likely that this could have dehydrated them? I’ve disinfected and cleaned the box. Should I give it another go with the same box? I don’t want to lead them too their doom if it’s something about the box or location. Many thanks for your help.
  • I seem to have been lucky this year. In May there were blue tits in the nest box, and the parents were constantly coming and going with caterpillars. I had no idea there were so many caterpillars in the area as I've not seen any, although to be fair I've not really looked for them.

Throughout the summer there have been a lot more tits (blue, great and coal) than I have ever seen in the garden, so I assumed that they fledged OK and that the tits in general have been successful this summer.

I just checked the nest box and there are no chicks in it, so looks like everyone got away OK. The inside of the box looks so cosy and I feel guilty about cleaning it out, but I suppose it's for the best to do so.
  • I'm in central Scotland. I was fascinated in May and early June watching the parents come and go. We went on holiday in June so didn't see them fledging, but as I say at times were were maybe a dozen tits, mainly blue, at the feeders. They seem to have moved on at the moment as it looks like the gold finches have came back with what looks like several youngsters as well.
  • This picture is from 19th May. I've not seen any activity in the box since June.

• Lovely photo Stephen and really cheered me up to know that your chicks fledged successfully so thank you for sharing.
    Thank you Robbo too for all your advice and comments, that’s reassuring to know it was a particularly bad year and maybe not directly related to the feeder even if sunflower hearts are risky for the chicks given that blue tit adults don’t necessarily know not to give them to them.

I really want to give my blue tits the best chance of surviving next year if they choose to use the box again but I know I would struggle to feed live mealworms or keep them in our fridge. My partner would have kittens if I suggested it!

If I can’t provide them with live meal worms, is it fair for me to lure them in to nest in our garden with a nest box. The suet last year encouraged too many predators and sunflower hearts dehydrate. I would like to think I have plenty of plants and a few trees and lots nearby that there are plenty of caterpillars so should I take the feeder down before it gets to nesting season to prevent the wrong food being fed or is that going to weaken the adults?

Sorry, just rambling my own thoughts on here!

• I don't have a great deal of plants in the garden, just flowers in planters, however there are lots of trees and bushes in the gardens around us, as well as a garden center next door. I always had lots of mixed seed and sunflower hearts in the feeders and on the ground, but in the main the parents would leave the box, fly right past all the food and go to the trees. It was only on the odd occasion that I saw the parents land on the food, and it looked like they were eating it themselves rather than taking it back, but my eye sight is not good enough to see that clearly.

I do think I'm lucky where I live as the garden next to me is an old orchard so there are several large apple and pear trees, as well as rowan and cotoneaster trees, so there are lots of flowers, fruit and berries for the wildlife. Also the garden centre a couple of houses away always has blooming flowers, so that must attract insects as well.