Unwanted Magpies

We have had magpies in our garden for the last 12 months or so. They are very territorial and we have lost all the song birds from ours and surrounding gardens. How can we disuade them from living here and nesting again?

We have stopped putting food out, but there's obviously plenty to eat without us supplying it. 

• Bev Carter said:

We have had magpies in our garden for the last 12 months or so. They are very territorial and we have lost all the song birds from ours and surrounding gardens. How can we disuade them from living here and nesting again?

We have stopped putting food out, but there's obviously plenty to eat without us supplying it.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/magpie/legal-magpie-control-methods/

Above is the law about Magpies and protection and legal control in England and Wales. The law in Scotland is slightly different. From the RSPB website!

Regards,

Ian.

• Im not saying i support whats in the link above. But i always try to post what is legally allowed to the best of my knowledge! Im not always correct. As far as wildlife conservation management goes. I try to take a pragmatic approach in wildlife conservation management and never sentimental over such things. As difficult decisions have been made by all conservation organisations legally at times in the past and present and will happen in the future. Ive seen a number of big stories about such things in the past on this community including one story with young Ospreys at Loch Garten and because of this some RSPB must have left this community forum. I wont go into what happened. But i fully supported the RSPB management and wardens at Loch Garten on that occasion.

Regards,

Ian.