An intimidating Blackbird

I didn’t manage to take a picture of the situation but a Woodpigeon was in the garden then a Blackbird launched a Surprise tactic he flew onto the ground so fast you couldnt see him moveing and when he flew down  the Woodpigeon looked shocked and he made the Woodpigeon jump and flap his wings. The Blackbird appeared bigger than the Woodpigeon and actually chased the pigeon out of the garden. The pigeon was cautious and afraid of him after and hesitated to go on the ground and hid from the Blackbird. Is this common behaviour? 

• Sorry I forgot some people can find the names confusing and comfuse the words Black bird and Blackbird with each other. And I wasn’t very clear either. I didn’t realise I put the bird (appeared) bigger rather than he tryed  to appear bigger. It was the size of a thrush and had a yellow beak. it was defanatly a Blackbird. it  took place in the garden and The Blackbird is a very frequent visitor to the garden he visits the garden almost every day.  Im  aware that not all blackbirds are black cause female blackbirds are actually brown. When I said it appeared bigger than the pigeon I meant the Blackbird made the Woodpigeon jump and then it tried to appear bigger than the pigeon and then chased the Pigeon out of the garden. The Woodpigeon hid from the blackbird in the tree where the blackbird cant see him and was hesitant about going back in the garden in case the thrush chases him again. Iv never seen a Blackbird chase a Woodpigeon out of the garden before. Is that common behaviour? 

• I once watched a male blackbird dive-bomb my cat, who was eyeing up the female balckbird lookign for worms on my lawn. The cat ended up fleeing for the catflap to get away from Mr B!