How easy is a pink footed goose ID in flight?

Hi can anyone give me a bit of advice on this one? I was at cley marshes 2 days ago, and about 2pm there was 3 or 4 big waves of geese flying overhead in formation, NW, being very noisy. They landed but out of sight further up the coast. Quite a spectacle.

I didn't take a picture unfortunately, but the formations were relatively wide collections of loose Vs across the sky, very much like the stock photo below (which is just from a google search), but it was a quarter of that size. I.e. the photo shows a much larger formation than the ones I saw.

I'm assuming they were pink footed geese from what I've heard and read, but my question is: is it possible to confidently ID them as such based on their formation and noise, plus the time of year and the location? Is there anything else that a formation of that size (and volume) could reasonably be? If it's not enough, then what would more experienced birdwatchers look for, I couldn't really make out any distinguishing features through my binoculars when I looked up.