How much of the White Tailed Eagle’s diet is sea birds? Percentage of their diet; kinds of sea birds; approximate yearly take? The evidence may be incomplete but it bears on the impact of re-introductions. Can you point me to the scientific literature?

White Tailed Eagle

• Tom, John Loves book A Saga of Sea Eagles may have some information in it to help and it also may be worth contacting the Roy Dennis Foundation may help you. Another contact that may help is the Mull Eagle Watch.
  • FWIW, I’ve watched a presentation today by the chap in charge of the IOW release programme. He gave quite a detailed breakdown with fish and rabbits making up the eagle’s share, and some evidence that easy meals were preferred — chiefly coots and greylag but also gulls and corvids. Contact info is here: www.roydennis.org/.../
  • I've just read a bit today about W T Eagles in Poland stating 90% of their is Carp from the local lakes, they would have a bit of a problem in the UK
  • We watched the same presentation as Internetman on the Eagles translocated to the Isle of Wight--very interesting, especially as there was no evidence that any of the birds observed or pellets investigated showed any sign of predating any farmed animals, although mammals (rabbits, etc.) were a small part of their food. Birds and fish seemed to be most of their prey (seen in a very nice pie chart!)
  • Tuwit and Tom, I cannot help with the scientific literature, but the good news is that if you scroll up to Internetman's post at 10:20 pm on the 17th of November and click on the link there to the Roy Dennis Wildlife Foundation (one of the groups involved intimately in the translocation of the Eagles and of many other species around the UK and Europe) it will take you to the long article on that website about the translocation project of White-tailed Eagles to the Isle of Wight, and you will learn much more about the subject. Also, the article includes an e-mail address and a phone number with which to contact the Foundation. If you explain who you are and your interest in the subject, I expect they will be happy to direct you to the relevant scientific studies--the article refers to some studies but does not include specific references, presumably since that website is not specifically aimed at academics but is for everyone, from the least to the most well educated (or at least that is my impression--I could be wrong!) I expect that there are scientific articles accessible online--please come back and let us know how you get on and what you learn about the Eagles. I, and most likely others, would like to know more about the birds ourselves.
    Also, I expect that Pete (posting above as Seaman) can direct you to where he read about the Eagles in Poland.

Edit:  tuwit, you might consider starting a new thread since your question is technically a different topic, and you might have responses from others who may not read this thread about the Eagles but who may be able to help with your specific interest.