Sadly found a field mouse this morning who by the looks of him (barely moving but for occasional jerks) has been poisoned. I also found a small speck of blue on his upper teeth which I think confirms it. I've set him up comfortably in a box with some wool, and have given him some water mixed with A-K vitamin (I read that vitamin K can help antidote the poison) via a pipet, but he isn't eating or drinking on his own and doesn't seem to be improving or getting worse.
It's just so heartbreaking seeing him suffer but I wanted to check if there was absolutely anything I could possibly do to save him before taking steps to end his suffering.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Was the vitamin k antidote on an American website by any chance? I would definitely not be giving vitamin supplements to small animals. There are side effects for humans who overdose, let alone mice. 're your wood/field mouse, I can't help other than supporting your water via pipet action. It is presumably going to be a case of hoping the poison wasn't consumed in fatal quantities.
Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can
In reply to Gemmastylist:
Thanks re vet comments about Vitamin K. Not heard of that before. Just reading up on it now as I should have known about it. Presumably the mouse was found out in the open? Sorry it didnt survive.
In reply to Seaman:
Wendy S said:Poison can be a good way to solve "pest" problems
I can't argue against that, Pete (and hey, why argue anyhow?). But as a Swiss project in Israel proved (or so I believe), Barn Owls are another good way.
A farmer friend of ours here had another solution. He just made the place Stoat-friendly and waited a bit. Which solved his rodent problems.
I agree with you 100 per cent about the knock-on effect up the chain. Seeing any animal dying because it has been poisoned is a very, very ugly sight. One I'd give a great deal not to have to see again.
Stoats and Barn Owls for Christmas (if necessary).
If you have any wrapping tips...
We spend 90% of net income on conservation, public education and advocacy
The RSPB is a member of BirdLife International. Find out more about the partnership
© The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) is a registered charity: England and Wales no. 207076, Scotland no. SC037654
Accepting all non-essential cookies helps us to personalise your experience
These cookies are required for basic web functions
Allow us to collect anonymised performance data
Allow us to personalise your experience