Gull dive-bombing large dog, in a crowd of people, with lots of gulls about

Hello, I wonder if you have come across something similar?   during a windy, blustery day with lots of gulls flying quite low over the beach and beach promenade, one gull repeatedly approached my dog from behind, to within a metre, legs dangling - but then flew off again, before attempting the same thing up to 4 times. My dog is large, and it wasn't carrying anything that might have tempted the gull to steal! 

I have only seen this kind of bird behaviour in fulmars when they were nesting [obviously trying to shoo off anything that might be a danger to their nest] and also in barn owls - and this was when an adult owl was flying accompanied by  youngsters [thus again, I believe, they were trying to frighten away a potential enemy]. 

But the gull did not dive bomb any people [there were lots about, with ice creams!] or any other dogs, and it  obviously did not have any youngsters to protect. So what could have been the reason ? Just having a bit of fun, trying to spook a dog?

• It may be that your gull found a four legged mammal a greater threat than humans, something in the birds make up may say "fox" when it sees dogs. I have seen this before at a quarry that had a big gull roost in winter and the quarry managers Alsatian seemed to be a fair target. This was our conclusion but it may be total rubbish when others come with answers..

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can