Books to get started?

Hello,

I finally have time to invest in birdwatching and I feel really overwhelmed by all the books available. I used to own a flower delivery store in Belgium, but recently relocated near London. What would be the best books to get started, to help me identify the birds of the region? I'm looking for something really practical, a tool that might help me progress.

Thank you for your time

Rupert

• Hello Welcome to the UK and to this wonderful RSPB,which has a mine on information,

and also all the wealth of honest good reliable information from our  Regular Members.

Before someone replies with maybe their own personal choices,

HERE  is the link , for Books from  RSPB

• Hi

the best European Field Guide is the Collins Guide by Svensson /Mullarney/ Zetterstrom
    HOWEVER it covers all of Europe and N.Africa.

Britain's Birds by Hume Tipling et al. is smaller in range and is the best Photo Guide.

The RSPB pocket guide only covers the commonest 200 or so species in Britain and is a good beginners guide.

The next size up is The Pocket Guide to Birds of Britain and N.W Europe which covers about 250 species.

S
  • Hi

the best European Field Guide is the Collins Guide by Svensson /Mullarney/ Zetterstrom
    HOWEVER it covers all of Europe and N.Africa.

Britain's Birds by Hume Tipling et al. is smaller in range and is the best Photo Guide.

The RSPB pocket guide only covers the commonest 200 or so species in Britain and is a good beginners guide.

The next size up is The Pocket Guide to Birds of Britain and N.W Europe which covers about 250 species.

S
  • HI-

Put ' Birding tips #14 Field guides' into the search bar at the top of this page :)

S
  • Hi

a word of caution on internet ID photos- Kenn Kaufman was on record as saying 50% of them are labelled incorrectly:

That was a few years back and things have got better but they still not 100%

S
  • I think the RSPB book is a great starting place then when you get into birding more get a copy of the Collins. Regular birders often build up a library of i.d. guides over time as they all show something a little different. Our last id guide was the Wild Guide Britain's Birds which shows ma ny different plumages and ages,bit heady for in the field but a great at home reference
  • The RSPB books are good. However, one I've found to be very clear in my early days is the Collins Complete Guide to British Wildlife, it has very clear photos to aid identification.

In later days and currently, I use the RSPB Handbook of British Birds and also DK Pocket Nature Wildlife of Britain books.

The DK Pocket Nature Wildlife of Britain will list not just the bird/species you're trying to ID, but others that are similar, which I find helps to determine identification.

I'll also endorse the internet warning issued, many are mislabelled and many images are questionable, so if you use online information, use trusted sites like the RSPB, and other organisations like the Woodland Trust, Wildlife and Wetland organisations, National Trust for more accurate information.

• Hi-

I'm afraid I don't trust ( pun intended) Trust websites either; I was recently sent a link to a site which showed
    that a certain reserve had according to the photos - Clarks Grebe :)
    A site in Norfolk also has Crested Lark on the same criterion :)

My all time fave was a photo labelled Long Eared Owl in a well known magazine that was an obvious male Kestrel-
    and they argued that 'that's what the photographer says it is' :

S