I found (2nd of November) a small lizard in the front driveway

•   

Should I just release it in the garden or put him back where I have found it or should I find some hibernation spot for him? He seemed very cold as he didn’t run away and let me hold him. 

• Hi iKat,
    I think that's a newt (possibly a smooth newt) rather than a lizard. Newts have four toes on their front feet whereas a lizard have five. Also, you would be hard pressed to catch a lizard as they are extremely fast whereas newts are relatively slow moving. Did it feel moist to the touch? Lizards are dry and scaly.
    I would put it back in the garden somewhere safe, near a pond if you have one.
  • Thank you very much for your response. I’ve done some googling in the mean time and yes, I believe it is a newt. I live close to a pond so I’m going to take him there.
  • Unknown said:
    Also, you would be hard pressed to catch a lizard as they are extremely fast whereas newts are relatively slow moving.

Just out of interest.....I keep one or two ,lightweight ,larger children shrimping nets ,in the garden..

Have discovered over the years , that they generally assist in capturing,any injured critters,that may need the assistance of a friendly human.