Finch Disease

Feeding the birds in this garden has gone on since the 1950's - it my responsibity now and I put out sunflower seeds in 4 containers - in early April finches started to become ill - chaffinches and goldfinches.  I clean the feeders every week, hot water and bleach and then a hot soapy clean , followed by 3 rinses but they continued to get ill.  I took the feeders in for 3 weeks, put them out and after about 2 weeks the same thing happened.  Took feeders in again deep cleaned and put out after a month - same thing happened - took feeders in completely and stopped feeding .  Its now October and I put the feeders out and the same thing happened again.  I;ve swapped to peanuts and fatballs now for the winter which they don't seem particularly interested in and so am keeping an eye out .  Can you help me - its devastating to see ill birds - its the same disease - they look as thought they have trouble feeding so it seems to be a recognised disease - it just so hard in the winter months to not be able to feed other than intermittent fatballs. Any thoughts welcomed