Short-term robin disappearance?

Hello!

I have a lovely robin who comes to my kitchen window, often several times a day, for a mealworm and a chat. I live in central London, the window looks out onto a tiny yard, really just a lightwell. I had never seen another living thing out there before my friend showed up as a scruffy fledgling this summer, so I was happy to encourage him and have become very fond of him : ) 

A couple of weeks ago, he completely vanished, just stopped showing up. I became certain he'd been killed by a cat or another bird. But just as suddenly yesterday, he was back! He was gone for ten days in total. That's obviously too short for a migration south, and I think it's too early in the year for robins to pair up and 'move in' with each other?

I'm 100% certain it's the same robin. He's as tame as ever, has one weird fluffy feather that's very distinctive, and a favourite drainpipe he has learned to sit on where he can see inside and catch my attention. He seems healthy, round as always and is uninjured.

I'd love to know where he went. Does anyone know what might cause a robin to leave their territory temporarily?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help. I'm glad I found this forum, it's great to know lots of other people are caring for their local birds, and I'm enjoying reading about them all!

• Hello Eclectus, we have robins in the garden, one fellow is very tamed and will come into the garage to be fed if we have not put out his suet pieces. He is very cheeky and curious and comes within a few feet to be fed, still trying to get him to hand feed, one day! In spring when they are nest building and looking after young they may well be busy and you won't see them as much but just now, I am unsure where they will be going or what they will be doing. Hopefully someone else may have answers. Good that he came back, it is lovely to have a Robin as a friend.

Enjoy here, we are a friendly lot and always someone at hand to help out. Look forward to seeing your posts.
    Welcome by he way, from Caithness, up at the very top of Scotland.