Limping wood pigeon in garden

This evening I saw an adult wood pigeon appearing to limp around our garden. He is one of two that have been visiting our garden regularly for nearly 2 years, and since he is usually very active and feisty this came as quite a shock.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a photograph or a closer look at him or his leg, but standing a few feet away, there didn't seem to be any obvious external injury to his leg. Although he ate some bread that I put out for him, and flew away to a nearby tree once he'd finished, I'm slightly concerned about his limping and was wondering what might have caused it, and if there is anything I can do to help him.

• Best that you just keep an eye on Woodie & give him plenty of food & water ... not a good idea to try & capture for assessment & treatment as they are particularly prone to stress, could even kill it!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• UPDATE: I'm very pleased to say that after not seeing him since for a few days, the male pigeon returned to our garden along with his mate just now and appears to have recovered, with no obvious limping or hobbling. He was back to his normal self, happily waddling around the garden and scoffing on crumbled digestives!
  • Thanks for letting us know the good news

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr