How do we accommodate our mice?

We regularly see mice around our garden - I'm going to assume they are house mice as they seem to like man-made structures.  The thing is, I'd like to be rid of them in our shed and garden storage - but what can we put up to compensate?  I don't begin to know anything about how mice live and what they need.  I only know they smell a bit.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I'm only able to guess at this, so am doing so to bump the post. We have wood mice here. Not yet seen house mice, but they may be about. I personally don't think it's possible to have mice free areas and mice friendly areas, which I think is what you're suggesting. The wood mice I've caught in friendly traps (mostly in the roof but early on caught a couple in the garage), I've driven quite a few miles away before releasing as I've read they find their way back if let free too near to 'home'. Because they're so small, and nibble, I think it would be hard to make sheds and other wooden stores mouse proof.
  • Maybe this poster can offer some advice Clare, seems well into mice?
    community.rspb.org.uk/.../1320919

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Clare,

I've been regularly posting questions about my mice on this forum but unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anyone who knows much about them. I only have a small garden with a mouse house at the bottom. It's about 10 meters away from my house. I feed the mice and have done for years and have never ever found any mice or traces of any in my house. To be honest the mice fascinate me. I have different types of mice all living happily together including a tiny hairless mouse. I do have a youtube channel where I post the videos which can be found here studio.youtube.com/.../UCAQwexOTIyz-dc6DlXTO-Yg

YouTube Channel:

New Flickr Account 

• In reply to Joanne:

joanne said:
    Hi Clare,

I feed the mice and have done for years and have never ever found any mice or traces of any in my house.

Do you have a shed or store as was referred to in the original question? Mice would find it less easy to get into houses than these sorts of places. Depends on the type of build as to how easy I would think. Also, as they tend to go for dark quiet places like roof space, in places like ours, it's then easy for them to enter the house from there via the plumbing which handily for them starts in the pantry where the mains stop tap is! The tanks in the roof are fed from there. 

• In reply to Robbo:

Hi Clare,

I have a shed at the side of my house and a garage also but never had mice in either of them. I've had a rat under the shed but nothing ever in the shed itself. As I said, I feed the mice at the bottom of my garden so no point in them coming into the shed or my house. You could either trap them with a humane trap and take them far away from your house but it would take a while depending on how many you have - I take the rats I catch into the country well away from houses. if they are a nuisance I'm afraid there is probably only one thing to do - poison and sticky traps is a horrible way to eradicate them so I would recommend kill traps which are quick. You could try feeding them at the bottom of your garden depending on how big it is. if that doesn't work go to plan b. Good Luck

YouTube Channel:

New Flickr Account 

• In reply to Joanne:

joanne said:
    Hi Clare,

As I said, I feed the mice at the bottom of my garden so no point in them coming into the shed or my house.

Our wood mice come into the garage and house because it is less cold in Winter than elsewhere. House mice, in particular, come into sheds, garages and other buildings to breed as well.